Course: American Studies:
Co-ordinator: Bill Keogh.
1. Introduction to slavery in America
2. The American War of Independence and the part of the African Americans in it.
3. Declaration of Independence and slavery?
4. The Constitution – slavery avoided.
5. North and South – split over slavery.
6. The Supreme Court and slavery
7. Lincoln and slavery.
8. Lynching, the Klan and poverty in South.
9. Mass Migration from the South
10. The urban blacks –segregation
11. The Harlem Renaissance
12. Black Americans in North and Midwest
13. Supreme Court’s role in Civil Rights
14. Blacks organize for freedom
15. Kennedy and Civil Rights.
16. The Radical Black Movement.
17. Bobby Kennedy – Martin Luther King-deaths
18. White Backlash. Decline of Detroit, Chicago.
19. Police and being black.
20. Barack Obama.
21. Present situation of Black America.
Please note that the format of most courses will change from time to time. Some courses may not be available to students in a particular year.
Return to Courses page